This year for Mother’s Day I wanted to create something a little more trendy for my Mom. I really like how my Sweetheart State Map turned out so came up with this similar design using the USA Map Shape. You could also do this with her home State Shape as well.
- Unpainted Wooden USA Shape, I’m using one that is 14″ wide by 1/4″ thick
- Script Wood Letters spelling Home and Mom. Mine are 2″ tall, 1/8″ thick and in the Lavanderia font
- Unpainted Wood Letters spelling “is where is”. I’m using 1″ tall by 1/8″ thick ones in the American Typewriter font
- Unpainted Wood Heart, I’m using a 1″ wide one that is 1/8″ thick
- Black, white and red craft paint
- Paint brush
- Paper plate or paint tray
- Craft glue
Gather Your MaterialsThis is a fairly tidy project but it is always a safe bet to put some newspaper down to protect your work surface from the paint and glue.
White LetteringUse the white paint and brush to coat the face and edges of the wood letters.
Red HeartIn order to make the heart stand out from the lettering I painted it bright red.
Paint the Map BlackTo give the map an old school chalkboard feel I chose to paint it matte black.
Letter & Heart PlacementOnce all of the paint has dried arrange the letters and heart onto the map. My Mom lives is Arizona so that is where I placed my heart.
Small Dab of GlueApply a small dab of craft glue to the back of each piece.
Glue In PlaceCarefully place the letters and heart back onto the plaque.
Add the TwineOnce the glue is dry, turn the plaque over and glue two pieces of twine to the upper right and left corner. Once it has dried, tie them into a bow.
Done!Here is how it turned out, I love the classic black and white with a pop of red!
Another AngleHere is a side view so you can see how the raised lettering and heart give it a nice dimensional look.